HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - qdm=loss of hunting skills?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2003, 06:49 PM
vtbuckrulrss
Fork Horn

Default RE: qdm=loss of hunting skills?

guess i have to check back in more often got buried with q and a' s) well, i hope a' s anyway)
first brian, you are very well spoken, like the way you stated everything, and made it easy to understand your point of view. i now have a better view of foodplots and there plan.
wv, when we look at the definitons of qdm, other than perhaps the adequate age structure, would it be fair to say that aren' t we already following the last two rules under( or should under) our states management rules? i know mine strives to keep the animals within carying capacity of the land, and try to get the sex ratios under control at the same time. and with our deer limits here, yep, i' ll take the first buck that comes along. our success rate is roughly 10% for rifle hunters(bucks only), and a bit higher for bow(either sex) and muzzleloader( buck only, try to draw a doe tag here!) me, i am in it for the meat, antlers are nice, but doe taste the same. with such odds against me, that is why i take what i can get. last year i was fortunate to get one of each. for us here, it is a race against time and lack of deer. already tossed your idea of concrete HER way, got a bad look, lol, but what are you looking at doing, and where?
s.texa, may be up for something on the king, if i had the money, but have seen plenty of shows from there and seen the bucks. your p.s. says a lot, and i agree with you on it.
timber, i was just asking if anyone felt that hunting in those situtaions had /will lead to erosion of hunting skills. nope, don' t wish to hunt with qdm in mind, because i do not see it as a necessary tool for my area. in other states, definetely a need for it. we are more concerned with seeing deer, than having the luxury to pick and choose, if we wish to put meat in the freezer. you guys should feel good where you can do some choosing.
sling, what do you mean how would you know who shot what? if the state has the capacity and resources, they should have check stations, and " x" amount of tags available. we also had great resistance when doe seasons were first conducted, but since then, they have become mostlt excepted. but, it has taken i think 20 years to get there. took the deer for the meat, sling, didn' t care what kind of headgear they sported( was a nice little six, though, and a good doe.)