HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Competing leaders on crab apple. questions
Old 04-20-2009, 08:14 AM
haystack
Typical Buck

Default RE: Competing leaders on crab apple. questions

Good questions Bowman, I have very little knowledge on crabapple trees, but the question on the spray I might have a starting point. Imidan 70wp would take care of most insect problems, I use it on my apple trees and potato plants with fairly good results, most "good sprays" are restricted use, and I hardly ever grow completely blimmish free fruit. Another spray I use is a broad spectrum formula made by Bonide and its labeled Fruit Tree spray, I know that sounds a little vague, but that is the name. It is best to start spraying while the trees are still dormant and repeat as weather and the directions call for such as green tip stage, bud stage, petal fall and so on. Careful not to kill bees during pollination time.

The pruning question is a little more difficult, it appears from what information I could find the Profusion crabapple is a spreading or weeping type tree getting as wide as it does tall, so I'm not sure if pruning a main leader is the correct thing. I know if "water sprouts" or "suckers" form on the trunk, they should be removed, and some that grow strait up on the lateral limbs should be removed. I will be talking to a guy mid-week that is a apple tree expert, and I will see if he has any suggestions, he's geared more toward apple trees and I'm not sure what experience he has with crabapple trees though. If I find anything I'll let you know.