HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 76 yr old turkey hunter killed by game warden
Old 04-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Canned Heat
Fork Horn

Default RE: 76 yr old turkey hunter killed by game warden

On the same token as a few others...what's to say this guy was hunting legally with a shotgun? Did the officer get close enough to even see what he was armed with when he first approached? Like a few places, rifles are fair game for turkey hunting so who's to say he wasn't using a rifle whether it was legal or not? Think what you will about the poor 76 year old fella and may he RIP. Now put yourself in the boots of the warden. Half of the people pissin' and moanin' about this happening to the old duffer are the same ones crying about nothing getting done about the baiting, poaching and all the other $*** going on out there. I'll bet my a$$ the old guy was up to something. Wardens don't just shoot people to get their rocks off. .

I'll admit my DNR here in WI has their f-d up agendas and ideas, but not backing your wardens, at least 'til all the facts come out, is a bit irrational in my opinion.

Saw this on another chat forum....should shed some light.

Here are some facts about this case as I live in a neighboring county of Wilkes County. First the man was not 76 but 67 and his funeral was held today.

As to whether or not the GW was tipped off or not the man was hunting over bait which is illegal in NC. It is illegal on public or private land to hunt turkey over bait. Some of you may need to read that again. Notice the word ILLEGAL.

The GW first ticketed the man's son-in-law for doing the same thing and hunting without his license. He then confiscated the man's gun and then asked if anyone else was on the property. The GW was told of the elder gentleman and went to where he was located according to the man's son-in-law.

The GW found the elderly man indeed hunting ILLEGALLY over bait. He was told to come down from his tree stand and then told the GW, "if I come down I'm going to kill you!"

The man eventually came down at which time he shouldered his gun, pointed at the GW. The GW poistioned himself behind some trees all the time telling the man to put down his gun. The man continued his approach toward the GW, gun shouldered, ignoring the order to put down his gun.

Seeing no other recourse, the GW defended himself from a possible death in shooting the man who continued to 1) keep his gun shouldered ready to shoot, and 2) ignore what he was being told to do. What was he suppose to do? Shoot or be shot by someone who said that he was going to kill him?

It is indeed sad. Prayers need to be said on all involved.