HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Squirrel recipe
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 05:36 PM
okcmco

Default RE: Squirrel recipe

Hey 12 guage. I will try this one for sure. I might sub onion salt for onion juice and sea salt 'cause I have delusions of being hoity toity. Let me share on of my squirrel recipees you might want to try

Take a brace o' squirrells. Clean and skin but leave whole. Wash em good
Then boil them for about 10 minutes (15 if they are big)in moderately boiling salt water. This is par-boiling if you may not know
Then remove from water and dry. Rub inside with black pepper and garlic powder (not garlic salt) or fresh minced garlic, then stuff inside with fresh onions. A bit of basil wouldn't go awry here as well. Then lay them, back up,in a baking pan or dutch oven (if you are camping) and sprinkle a little more black pepper. Lastly layer some bacon slices over the backs of the squirrels and bake at a moderate heat (300 +-), until they are cooked. In a dutch oven, a bit of beef broth or some red wine will add a nice flavour to the gravy you will make from yhe drippings and helps to keep the meat moist.
And here's a trick I learned from a Horace Kephadt book.
Parboil whole paotatoes with the squirrel in the slated water. Then when the squirrel is arranged in the pan and is ready to go into the oven, slice the parboiled potatoes and arrange them in the pan around the meat. LArrapin!!!!
Marco