HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 76 yr old turkey hunter killed by game warden
Old 04-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Manybeards
Fork Horn

Default RE: 76 yr old turkey hunter killed by game warden

I spoke with a friend who goes to church with an assistant DA in Wilkes county. He tells me that it was well known that the gentleman was baiting. Now,it is certainly NOT illegal to bait(especially on your own land),however it is ILLEGAL to hunt over bait. Once the hunter climbed up in that tree over a known cornpile,well the case was made. According to what my friend was told,the GW had already radioed for back up,and then confronted the hunter and asked him to come down from the tree stand. According to statements allegedly made to sheriffs Deputies on the scene,the GW was ordered off the property,and the hunter was told he was only going to make things worse for himself. It was further alleged that threats were made against the GW by the landowner. Now,wether or not the shotgun was pointed towards the officer,they just don't know for sure.
Some have said,"why not just wait till after the hunt,and arrest the guy at his cabin or his home?"..... Well,according to the DA,that is contrary to any LE procedure. Using that theory,I guess the NCHP should just follow drunk drivers home to avoid a confrontation on the highway. Now,I don't know what the truth will ultimately be,but I sure hate that the old gentleman lost his life. I also feel for the GW. No matter what happens,this nightmare will haunt his dreams for the rest of his life......