HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 76 yr old turkey hunter killed by game warden
Old 04-14-2009, 07:26 AM
UncleNorby
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 76 yr old turkey hunter killed by game warden

The details will never be known to the public. The GW is the only one that knows what happened, unless there was another witness.

I don't know anything about this case, but I do think there are cases where GWs are heavy handed or perhaps over-zealous.I can seeno reason for the GW to be on private property dressed in full camo, unless he has received a tip that some violation is going on like hunting over bait. If that's the case, there are plenty of ways to handle it, like enter the property with another officer once it is fully light, dressed in the typical uniform so there's no doubt who you are or what you're doing. Could have even waited for the hunt to be over while observing from a distance, then approach the hunter(s). GWs dressed in full camo, staking out a hunter on private land, alone, is going too far IMO.

There's no real excuse for shooting anyone on your land like a poacher or trespasser, unless you are truly defending yourself. But we'll never know how it played out.