HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Spine Test results from tonite
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 05:35 PM
JeffB
Nontypical Buck

Default Spine Test results from tonite

I had a little "fun" tonite spining some arrows at the shop.

For reference purposes- Carbon Express laser match "spine selected" shafts (Maximas, CXL, etc) are matched +/- .002 in spine (total variance of .004) per doz. This is very similar to what you will see out of a dozen A/C/Cs as well. Carbon Tech arrows are guaranteed to be +/- .005 (total .010) per dozen. Carbon Tech's variance is pretty much my own barometer as well. Things get wonky above that- Flyers, groups spreading out left and right, etc.

1st up was the 3 full length bare shaft Victory Vforce V1 350 shafts I bought a few weeks ago. Unfortunately the 3 shafts I fletched were just a shade too short to use on the RAM spine Tester.

Variance around the shaft (SAS) on the Victorys was REALLY good. Barely made the needle move. Commendable. Unfortunately spine variance of the 3 shafts was not. The total variance between the 3 was .018- totally unacceptable in my book. The two closest shafts were .009-which is right at the max of my own "threshold".

Since I only had three of the V1s, I decided to grab a dozen Victory Vforce V3s (size 400) that shop had in stock. Again, SAS was very good. Again, shaft to shaft variance was bad- After 7 arrows, I was already seeing a variance of .021 from lowest to highest- At this point I gave up and shelved them.

Finally, since I had cut my own too short to spine, I grabbed a dozen of ICS Hunter Elite 400s. I spined through the entire dozen. Spine around shaft was not quite as good as the Victory arrows, but it was not bad either- needle moved just a little for each shaft. Out of the 12 shafts only two showed a variance out of my "standards". One was .011 out, the other .012. The other 10 shafts were all within a .006-.007 variation. Very good.