HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - At this period of time, do you favor a hunting license increase?
Old 04-12-2009, 07:48 PM
R.S.B.
Typical Buck

Default RE: At this period of time, do you favor a hunting license increase?

ORIGINAL: J Pike

ORIGINAL: R.S.B.

ORIGINAL: J Pike

RSB. on very negative note 924,000 PA. deer hunters only harvested 335,850 deer during the 2008-09 season.
Meanwhile over in OH. 450,000 deer hunters harvested 252,017 deer during the 2008-09 season.
But I have a really good idea for the PGC., since the PGC. supporters on this site claim that the large majority of the hunters in PA. support the PGC. and the lic. fee increase why doesnt the PGC. just ask the hunters who do not bow hunt to purchase a bow stamp this year? The hunters who do not bear hunt to purchase a bear permit? And the hunters who do not turkey hunt to purchase a turkey tag and so on? No need for the legislature to get involved and no need for a Lic. fee increase. Pike
But, since we should be talking about license fees how about we go ahead and do that.
In Ohio their Conservation Department is not self funded, like here in Pennsylvania. They got their money, to operate, directly from their state general fund tax dollars every year. Every resident in their state pays for wildlife management and conservation, unlike here in Pennsylvania where all of the wildlife management is paid for by hunter dollars. Ohio also still gets thier share of P-R funds from the Federal Government, based on license sales, the same as Pennsylvania and every other state, too.

Yet, an Ohio resident pays over three times as much to hunt deer and turkey as what a Pennsylvania resident pays.

So, I agree lets get our hunting license prices on par with Ohio and still have all of the state’s tax payers supporting wildlife management and conservation with their general taxes. I suspect if we do that we will only have half as many hunters as what we have now, and compare with Ohio’s hunter numbers. I suspect those hunters will still be able to harvest more deer then they do in Ohio though so our hunter success rate would then also be much higher then it is in Ohio.

How about that I agree with Pike we need to be more like Ohio.

So, you should march right down to you Legislator’s office tomorrow morning and demand that the Pennsylvania hunting license prices triple. Also demand that even after they do that the Game Commission still should to be funded from the state’s general taxes so everyone, instead of just hunters, pays thier share for wildlife management, just like things are done in Ohio.

Do you still want to compare and tell us how good they have it in Ohio?

R.S. Bodenhorn
RSB. First off you are lieing about OH. hunters having to pay over 3 times as much to hunt deer and turkey.

Not according to the Ohio site that explains and sells them.

Resident License Fees6 months residency required)

Resident hunting licenses are $19 for adults, $10 for youth (under 18) and seniors (65-70). Licenses for those over 70 are issued at no charge. In addition to the general license, hunters will need a special permit for the type of hunting (deer, waterfowl, wild turkey, etc.). See Additional permits

Additional permits are required for each type of hunting. 2008 fall turkey permits are $24 for adults and $12 for youth and seniors.

2008 Deer permits are also $24 for adults and $12 for youth and seniors.

Here is the link:

http://cleveland.about.com/od/sports...inglicense.htm

Second, ofcourse OH. hunters are going to have to pay more to hunt because they have less than half as many hunters.

But you are right that the ODNR receives money from the genral fund, How is that a bad thing?

I didn’t say it was bad. I think itwould bea good thing for the future of the resources and hunting.

It is the hunters of this state, and especially this web site that say it would be bad.

The PGC. claims that they are an """ Independant Agency""" but other than funds their is nothing independant about them!! PLEASE EXPLAIN what is so "" independant"" about the PGC. other than how it is funded? And the hunters in OH. have a say on how things are done by the ODNR. and here in PA. our hunters have zero say!!
Here in PA. the Farm Bureau, DCNR, Audobon Soc. and timber industry control the PGC. ( thats why we do not and never will have sunday hunting and are trying to manage our herd at under 10 dpsm)
In contrast in OH. the hunters wanted sunday hunting and boom they got it!! They wanted their gun season to be extended and boom they got it!!
they wanted a youth either sex gun season smack dab in the middle of the rut and boom they got it!!

Hunters have a voice in this state too, even if they don’t get everything they demand.

In this state we do our best to manage with first consideration to the resource instead of just giving hunters everything they want to make it easier to exploit the resources.

Oh thats right the PGC. just made crossbows legal even though 9 out of 10 PA. hunters didnt want them!! Pike

I don’t know that 9 out of 10 hunters didn’t want them and either do you.
In fact I know that flat out isn’t even close to be a true statement since about 20 % or more of all licensed archers in this state already had a permit to use a crossbow and many others in the special regulations areas were already using them because they didn’t need a permit.

Plus archery hunters are only a small part of the total hunters and more hunter simply didn’t care one way or the other about crossbows.

Besides they are legal in Ohio and since you always tell us how much better it is in Ohio why not make them legal here, just like in Ohio.
R.S. Bodenhorn