HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Kansas Turkey Trip!
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 05:25 AM
MeanV2
Giant Nontypical

Default Kansas Turkey Trip!

I headed to Kansas on the morning of April 4th hoping to arrive in time and look over some hunting ground and get settled in my Motel. I was able to do both. I spotted 2 groups of Turkeys north of where I was staying, and got a plan for early the next morning.

The downside was the weather man was predicting Cold, Snow, and Windy weather moving in. Like all hunting I have ever done I didn't concern myself with the things that were out of my control and got in a mindset to hunt hard.

The next morning I awoke to temps just below freezing and sustained winds at 35 mph with gusts over 40 mph. I made the short trek to the north, and after setting up Pretty Boy & the WidowMaker decoy Icrawled in my blind at the end of a picked corn field where I had spotted a group of Turkeys the evening before. The field, timber, & creeks put me in whatI believed was a good spot.

Hearing Turkeys was out of the question at any distance with the wind. It wasn't long before I spotted Turkeys in the field west of me. They were soon in the middle and a group of 4 of the long beards spotted Pretty Boy and here they came at a fast trot. Pretty Boy did not stand a chance against these 4 intruders and soon lay on his side.

The challenge for me was to pick out the biggest and hope he would stand still while I slipped a Grizz Trick through him from only 15 yards away. It happened faster than I can tell about it. My 1st Rio was on the ground! I shot him with my 09 BowTech Sentinel (no it was not too long to shoot out of a blind) It was set up with a Limb Driver arrow rest, HHA Optimizer sight, B Stinger stabilizer, shooting CX Aramid 250's tipped with Grizz Tricks.
My Turkey weighed 25#
10" Beard
1" spurs

I was very pleased indeed.

Dan