HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - All these short bows!!!
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 03:56 PM
BGfisher
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: All these short bows!!!

Have been shooting these crazy wheel bows for 35 years now. I was shooting them when 48" was considered a short bow. I have my own opinion, based on shooting experience with over 30 bows during this time frame. Traget, field, 3D, bowhunting and anything else I could find.

My thought pretty much mirror those of you two. Today's "latest and greatest" craze of short and ultrashort bows is way beyond me. I own a couple of these bows, 32" A2A, and can honestly admit that in the hands of a human a longer bow will be more accurate in any venue.

However, a bow"s geometry has a lot to do with accuracy, too. Anybody remember when straight or deflexed risers were the norm? Add to that an 8" brace height. How about when the grip was centered between the axles and bows balanced and aimed real nice and easy without being top heavy.

Opinions about this will also depend on the experience and/or age of who answers your question. To those who have never had the pleasure to shoot one of yesteryear's bows with round wheels and no hard back wall, but a 1" valley, opinion will most likely lean toward the short, easy to torque, speed bows of today. Afterall, they've never shot anything else. They've been deluged with peer pressure and advertisements putting all the emphasis on speed, speed, speed.

I do admit that today's technology is making archery fun. The shame is. most people will never get to use this technology for achieving the most in accuracy. They don't know what true accuracy is because they have nothing to compare it to.