HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - BEST WAY TO HUNT TURKEY IN SPRING!
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 07:14 PM
turkeyslayer15
Fork Horn

Default RE: BEST WAY TO HUNT TURKEY IN SPRING!

alright here is a quick lesson...turkeys roost in trees and the toms gobble before the come off the roostunless they r spooked or they have hens in trees or its cold. anyway... prolly u need to go the night before u hunt and see if you can hear one gobble when he goes to roost... so u will know where he will be the next morning. since u got the net u can google turkey sounds and listen to them and that will teach u what different sounds sound like. the most basic calls r yelps of a couple different kinds ex. excited yelps, soft tree yelps. u need to learn the cluck and purr. if u can be real quiet in the woods try to set up @ 75 yd or so from the tree the gobbler is in but if you cant get that close get as close as you can or feel comfortable doing. if the gobbler wont gobble on his own get a crow call or qwl hooter and use it to make him swhock gobble. i like to do some soft tree yelps to let him know im there if he answers me i shut up until he flys off the roost and then it it depends on the situation whether i call or not. if he goes off with hens go find another bird. if you can use a diaphram call thats the best for when turkeys get in close as far as decoys if you hunt private land u can get a b mobile struttin tom and a couple of hen decoys. just a hen decoy will work too u dont have to have a bunch of decoys. where i hunt if a turkey sees a decoy he goes the other way so i dont use them if there is anything else specific i can try to answer send me a message.l