HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My new rifle (Update 3-28-09)
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 01:27 PM
rimjob_rob
Fork Horn

Default RE: My new rifle

Got out today to put some lead downrange. Overall I was very satisfied with how it shot. I shot 4 different shells and all of them grouped pretty well, and the one that I nearly ruled out before I shot actually gave me the best group.

You might not be able to read the writing on there so here is a summary. The single hole about two inches low and an inch left was the first shot and then I adjusted up and right. I must have adjusted a little too far right I think. Then I shot a 3 round group at the center target with Remington Core-Loct, group measured 1 5/8". I adjusted left a few clicks and then shot a 3 round group with Federal Fusions at the bottom left target, group measured 1 1/8". Then went to Hornady SST and shot at the bottom right target, group measured 1 3/16". Then the surprising group was with my box of Federal Power Shocks, the blue box shot at the top left target. The first two shots were nearly touching and the third shot was a little off the first two but the group still measured just over an inch.

Now this was not off a bench and in a vise. It was laying on the ground using a bipod for the front rest and a balled up jacket under the stock in the rear. Shots were 100 yards laser ranged and there was a slight breeze today I would say around 5 mph maybe gusting to 10. I am pretty pleased with the results and now I need to get the barrel cleaned well and ready to shoot again. I am not ruling any of these shells out yet, as I believe all the groups will get a little tighter as I put a few more shells through it. It was pretty pleasent to shoot, kicked a little hard, about what my old 270 did, trigger is a little heavy, I might want to lighten it up a bit, but I don't know if that is a project that I want to tackle myself.

Let me know what you think!