HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Whats the deal? Quartering to shots
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 08:00 PM
drockw
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats the deal? Quartering to shots

ORIGINAL: cptleo1

"Unless its a monster and I think its the last chance, there is NO WAY I would take a quartering to shot. To not hit the shoulder, and get a good vital shot, the margin of error is soooo small its ridiculous. I thinksome of it is over confidence in large diameter cutting broadheads\

This really gets me going !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there is EVER a deer to let walk "it is a monster" !

Why not gut shoot him or shoot him up the butt ?

Why not sling an arrow at him from a hundred yards away.

You are sitting there and this monster is walking by and you think you HAVE to do something.

You do- YOU HAVE TO THINK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to wait for a good shot opportunity - OR

You have to let him walk - Sorry, that is just the way it is.

The quartering to shot is and ALWAYS will be a poor shot choice.

I suggest YOU quit watching so much TV.

We hunt with a bow and accept its limitations, one of which is to pass on bad shots.

What is wrong with our sport is to many archers have never learned the basics and refuse to keep those basics as sacred.

If your MONSTER buck comes in and does not offer a high percentage shot LET HIM GO !

You now know when and where he is - Come back another day and close the deal

Thats trophy hunting - If it is to tough - sell yourbow and buy a 300 Weatherby MAG
ALthough I believe that ethics are personal, and usually wouldnt care to argue a comment on my personal beliefs b/c you arent going to change them, I have to reply to this one b/c you OBVIOUSLY personally know me, and have spent much time with me in the woods. Almost like you are MY personal camera man, or maybe your my concious??? Something like that b/c you think you know me

08 was the first season since 04 that I have killed a buck... I didnt just not hunt 0506 and 07... trust me i was there in my tree, with my bow. I think if I really thought it was "to tough" and i just wasntseeing deer (or within the 100yd range since you know i will shoot at a deer that far)I would have already hung her up for good I bet ive let more bucks walk in the last 3 years than the average hunter sees so I dont needsome internet heroto tell me how to "LETHIM GO !" In the 05 season, I hunted oncealmost every single dayfrom septermber thru december for "my monster". I had at least 10 40yd or in chances at him but didnt take them b/c I did not want to wound the buck of a life time. i took a shot at him in mid december and hit my stand with my bottom limb. Complete miss. I was a little disappointed yes, but thankful that he ran away in perfect health. He was killed by a gun hunter the next year. When i heard about it, i was happy for the hunter who killed him. He wasnt "my monster", he was anyones.

I guess all of this was pointless to type since you knew it all already

Btw, to the rest who wouldnt take the shot... This past season I shot a doe (while tracking the buck I shot/killed) and accidentally hit her about 3" into the shoulder (good height, just to far over) and she dropped 40yds later. The other shoulder stopped the arrow from passing thru. Wouldnt have done it on purpose on a broadside doe, but it was a successful shot and she dropped quicker than the buck did. If i were to take a quartering to shot on a buck, I would put it right in the front of the shoulder (wherever was optimal depending on the angle of course), and I would only do it with a fixed blade. I think many of you are seriously full of it if you say you wouldnt shoot one... I dont think most have the patience to stare at a point blank buck and say "hes not broadside, ill let him pass". Its bow hunting. It is high risk sometimes even if you dont take extreme shots. I dont take extreme shots and i still shot one in the shoulder. It happens.that is why we do it right???
Derek