HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which kind for me (new law)
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 07:25 AM
GrumpyTom
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which kind for me (new law)

ORIGINAL: lscha

Well, I just called every sporting goods store within 4 hours drive from me and nobody has the Vixen and won't have it unlessI order it. I found a few that have the TenPoint. Looks like there is no way to try the Vixen unless I order it. Bummer! They are all trying to talk me into the other Excaliburs or TenPoints.

They will probably expand their inventory when all us old people start demanding it. But I'm not known for my patience.
The good thing about an Excalibur Bow is that they are very similar between models. If they have another model which is a high poundage you could still get a good idea about the fit of the bow. The Vixen II is a great bow for Ladies or smaller framed shooters. THey have the shorter draw pull them most (but only a short difference) and only a 150lb pull. The 175lb model will give you a good idea about the cocking the bow, the 150lb will be much easier and then you could also include the Rope Cocker which reduces your pull by 50%. Depending on your body stature and leg strength will also depend on which bow you will be more comfortable with. Smaller hands and arms will probually like the Thumb Hole stocks better (more comfortable fit). Short legged shooters seem to have more difficulty cocking bows with higher poundage because of the longer draw needed for these bows. Remember that the proper method in cocking a crossbow uses your legs alot more then your arms, bending at the knees and then stand up with just a little arm pull at the end (shorter legs means a little longer arm pull). The Phoenix should give you a good feel for the balance of the bow in comparing it to the Vixen or Vixen II.

I change strings many times, I remove my string after every hunt or shooting experiance (not required) and I have not found any difference in Point of Impact. I carry an Extra String with me, my dad (who is 77) has his extra string taped to the outside of his stock at all times. With a recurve you can change a string easily and very quickly if needed and I have always found that the point of impact never changed (just make sure the string is positioned on the riser properly). Do you need to purchase one when buying your bow, no ,....... but I would suggest you get one before you go hunting, even break it in. Boo does make a great string and I would recomend them to anyone.

Hope that this does help you and does not confuse you more in your choice . As for your questions, ask away. We were all in the same position as you at one time and either we got help or learned it the hard way. The only stupid question is a question not asked if you do not know.