HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 25-06 or 270 WSM
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 11:18 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 25-06 or 270 WSM

Varmits to deer the 2506 is a great cartridge. If the odd bear hunt arose loaded with a barnes or similar bullet it is more then adequate and with a 3030 in your safe already you could pinch it in here as well. If elk are a real possibilty and bears are more to the norm the 270 may make more sense as an all arounder for your situation. As far as mulies, the 25cal has what is needed for the biggest mule deer and is more then up to the range limits the majority of hunters employ.Fact is 500 yards is outside most hunters comfort zone so while merits are their for a heavier bullet and caliber fordown rangeone must be realistic and truthful with themsleves when assess these merits as they may not apply.

Ihave the 2506 and 270win, both arefine cartridges. For me personally the 270 doesn't really fill a need anymore and if were not for being an heirloom I wouldn't have one. No needed for deer and IMO on the light sized for larger then deer. FWIW I used the 270win to harvest both elk and moose, just prefer a liitle more then the 277 provides.

Best of luck