HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 9 "Shell Shocked"
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 05:07 AM
wihunter402
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Team 9 Thread

Well I have a minute here at work so I thought I would tell you about some of my 2008 turkey hunting. It was the first season I went out with bow only and I had a nice big Tom come in and stop at 46 yards. I could not get him closer and I told myself before the season I was only good to 40 yards. Well that was it and I never got a spring turkey last year. With that going on I worked very hard over the summer to get better at longer ranges. I practiced at 60 and 80 yards pretty regular. I had my Katera XL shooting well and knew that at 50 I could hit a bird. My fall season went like this. Opening morning a doe came in at 38 yards (I have the leupold range finder for all the yardage). I smoked it no problem. As the season went on I was in our cabin talking to my son in the Navy and some turkeys came walking up the gravel driveway. The closest bird (we can shoot hens) was 51 yards. With encouragement from Matt (son) I lined up the 50 pin while actually standing in the cabin. Eased the release and destroyed that bird with the 1 3/4" Grim Reaper Razor Tip. It went about 5 yards. My only other shot last fall was a fox I got at 43 yards. I did not have the best of luck with critters coming in close last year so I was very glad I practiced for the little longer shots.

So this year I shot a bunch of bows and purchased the AMax 32 BlackOut pictured below. Bow is shooting great and I hope to be just as good with it as I am with my Katera XL. The AMax is my new turkey hunting bow which is why I wanted the all black. If I can't get all the pics on this post I will do a couple. Hope you all enjoy and I am really looking forward to spring.

First pic is the bow itself. Second one is my 5 spot at 20 yards. These were while I was still sighting it in and tuning it. The bow is set at 60.5 pounds, 29 inch draw shooting Victory vForce HV arrows at 316 grains at 307 fps.