HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cowardly Killer not Hunter - by Billy Nelms
Old 03-03-2009, 09:40 AM
diamondaranch

Default RE: Cowardly Killer not Hunter - by Billy Nelms

Here is an interesting little write up I found.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/10/virginias-huntingdog-law-finds-itself-cross-hairs

Vahoundsman, I can appreciate the "age old tradition" etc etc, yeah its the law bla bla.

But, I tend to agree with the one person quoted in that article that issaying "your" law is unconstitutional.

I have no problem with the dogs per se. It's not their fault, it is the dog's OWNER's fault in my mind.

I just read alot about that law in VA. And yep, your right, it is the law!!

However, I simply cannot fathom how a state governmental entity of any kind can make a PRIVATE property owner ANYWHERE in this country responsible for the negligence of others. That law needs to be reformed asap in my opinion.

As far as we go here?? I probably won't be shooting many dogs anyway. From my above post I hope you can deduce that it really is not a problem in this area of Texas (two intruding nuisance dogs in 20 years is not much.)

Besides, if any "stray pets" make it onto this property, they probably will be dead before I see them running around on our ranch.

We have cyanide charges in the ground all over this ranch in a never ending battle against the lovely coyote. No canine can smell it, then resist biting it. Boom dead dog and no shot fired.

Control your dogs and best wishes!