HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Recoil question........
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 05:01 AM
Folically Challenged
Fork Horn

Default RE: Recoil question........

ORIGINAL: schoolcraft

I'm taking my tax return $$$ and going to havemy Remington XCR customized. I havea local gun shop here with a fantastic reputation for this sort of work.
Going to add a Shillen barrel and a McMillan stock.........here's my delima....

My rifle is currently a .30-06, and I'm trying to decide if I want to keep the 06' or turn this rifle into a .280 (a caliber that I've always wanted)....

I've also always had an itch to have a .300 Win. Mag........

I'm terribly picky about my rifles, so this is really cool to finally get one just how I want it.....but in which caliber???? .280 or .300 Winny???

I'm in east Texas hunting hogs year round (some of which are BIG) and of course whitetail deer.

And......I've never shot a .300. I'm very comfortable with the .270/.30.06/7mm Mag. recoil. I'm not really sure if the Winny will go beyond my tolerance level. I've tried to find someone who has a .300 to shoot a few times, but no luck so far.

Any input would be appreciated
I'd stick with the '06. If you just have to have something different, I'd suggest the .280. I'm only 40 (almost), but I've already figured-out that burning more powder to kill critters just as dead doesn't do much for me.

I've been using an '06 myself, & I'm plenty good enough with it. I recently bought a .35 Whelen, & it's not beyond my "tolerance level" for being able to put the bullets where they're supposed to go. I have found, however, that the Whelen is beyond my "fun level", because I have to concentrate really hard on my breathing, sight picture, and squeeeeeeezing to avoid messing things up. And, for Moose/Elk on down, that new Whelen isn't going to offer much advantage over the '06 in killing power. Maybe I need to set up a Grizzly hunt to justify the purchase...

On the other hand, I picked up a 700 Mtn Rifle in 7x57, it's an absolute sweetheart to shoot. And putting 175 grain bullets through it, I'm not sure the '06 would offer much of an edge in killing power on up to the Elk/Moose sized game.

You didn't mention the distances you're talking about shooting, but it's my impression that the .300 WM really starts to outclass the '06-based cartridges past 300 yards or so, when it comes to trajectory.I doubtit would outclass them at all in terms of getting critters dead inside that range.

For hogs & whitetails, this hunter would stay at or below the .30-'06.

FC