HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My buck from 11-17-08
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 08:23 AM
diamondaranch

Default RE: My buck from 11-17-08

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: wingchaser_labs

Didn't take me anytime to find your buckpost, actually like 30 sec prolly cuz I remembered seein it somewhere in a mount thread recently. took me awhile cuz I was busy worryin about something more important.... I don't think you are seeing the taxis point of view as you aren't one. Let me explain it in an easier way...

- Poor mounts getting good reviews = more poor mounts done by poor taxidermists (which results in more hack shops and less income for the quality taxidermist)
- Poor mounts getting bad reviews = more quality mounts by quality taxidermists (which results in less hack shops)
- The other florida buck post is a much better example of this, as all the taxi needed on this threads mount was some good reference and the major things would be fixed.
- Little things like reference aren't a big deal but simple things like jagged ears, no ear butts, and drumming is just SLOPPY LAZY taxidermy.

Maybe this is hard to understand but whensome of abig public hunting group sees poor mounts as being good its like saying..... O go have your car engine rebuiltlike this.It got fixedsuper fast and did a great job... However you don't know what the inside of your motor is even supose to look like but hey it runs fineso it must be quality built.

Taxidermy is a profession just like any other and quality taxidermists take pride in what they produce. Quality taxidermists are not animal stuffers, they are wildlife artists.

"

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: tim03b

Can you take a pic of the back of the neck of the deer and post it up for me please. I wanna see the stich job.
Thanks.
[/blockquote]

If it was caped properly, you should see nothing. "

It wasn't really a question but you took it as one and felt you could answer iteven though you know nothing about stitchingcapes so do you see where I'm coming from. You gave bogus info.

Ok one last attempt.....
- You are an arborist (early-in). So if someone showed you a pic of their prized rare species(trophy) tree orpretty yard full of trees they just had trimmed by a poor arboristand looked poor, you are telling me you wouldn't say something to them to prevent them frommaking the same mistake when they get their nexttrophy tree trimmed knowing that a hack did their trimming the first time????? Just think about it. I feel like I'm beating a dead critter here so I'm done. WCL
You seem determined to skirt the point I've been trying to make. I guess you just ignor what I've already said, and it doesn't/won't change. You just used poor judgement, plain and simple. Andfor whatever reason, yourefuse to admit it.I'll live with that.
As far as my comment on stiching goes. You're correct, I'm no taxi, but I do know certain proper procedures regarding cape prep, asI've watched professional guides do it several times.These are are the guys whogive you what you'll have to work with.
Also, the guywho said"Can you take a pic of the neck of the deer and post it up for me please? I want to see the stich job" is indeed asking a question regarding stich work. My comment "If it was caped properly, you should see nothing" is certainly a reasonable answer to that question. Me being a taxi or not! My answerwas fact, not opinion.
Lastly, if someoneshowed me (being an arborist) a pic of work done by another tree man, and I saw it didn't agree with the way I would have done it, NO I wouldn't say that to the person. Idon't slander other peoples work. It's buyer beware out there, and if someone needs to learn the hard way, so be it. BUT, by the same token, if that same person said, "Jeff what do you think of thework I had done on my tree's"? I would THEN, andONLYTHEN, give them my thoughts on their tree work. Now do you understand?

I hope that everyone will read what I put in bold/italic from "early in's" post.

I have no dog in this fight, and btw, VERY nice buck. If your happy then that is all that counts.

I learned a very humbling lesson related to "early in's" statement above one time in the past. Unrelated professions but I think the message is relevant here.

I was a professional farrier for 18 years. And not to toot my own horn, but I was pretty fair at my job. College educated, went to continuing education classes, memeber of National Association of Equine Practicioners, American Farrier's Association certified journeyman farrier etc, etc,etc, etc.

Now, one day a new client called me and had a pretty bad problem with her favorite pet. Her horse was crippled as hell. And funny thing was he was just fine before his "new" farrier took over the care of that horse.

I took one look at the job on his hooves and said.........

"My lord that is the worst shoeing job I have ever seen. Joe Farrier's certification should be taken away from him. My goodness Mam, how could you expect otherwise. Those shoes are at least one size to small, he has two 'hot' nails that I can see so far, his heels have been trimmed to nothing, and the imbalance between his front feet is atrocious. How could you ever expect to be able to use this horse? I would not call the guy again Mam!"

There were several people around when I said that. Bad mistake on my part. Well to wrap this little synopsis up........the "other" farrier eventually heard what I had said about him.

His words that got back around to me have stayed with me for years!! And a big lesson was learned on my part.

His reply to my SLAMMING his horrible work was, "Well, thats too bad. I wish I had known about the problem and I would have gone back and done my best to fix the damage at no charge to the client. I just can't believe he would say that about me, because I really look up to the guy."

From that day on, no matter how horrible a job was........I never bad mouthed it. I came up with a generic response of "well, I would do things a little different here."

I learned my lesson!

Oh again, very nice deer. It looks great to me. Congrats.