HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Impala hunting - South Africa
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Bushwack_007
Spike

Default Impala hunting - South Africa

Description:

The Impala’s Latin name melampus (Greek for ‘black foot’) comes from the prominent black tuft of hair on each hind leg covering a scent gland. It is known that if Impala is alarmed or in danger, the gland will exclude a scent which when the Impala leaps in flight, spreads an air-borne scent trial for the group to follow. The Dutch name “Rooibok” (Redbuck) comes from the reddish colour that the antelope exhibit. The Zulu, Siswati, Ndebele name – Mpala, Tswana, Sotho, Venda name – Phala and Yei name – Umpala, and probably its where the English name Impala derived from...

Only the male has horns, but some females do occur with horns, but normally in a deformed (Mutated) way. For South Africa’s southern Impala (Aepyceros melampus) Rowland Wards minimum records is 235/8 inches.

Shoulder height: 91cm
Mass: 45-55kg
Gestation: 180-210 days

Diet:
Both browsers and grazers. They utilise a wide variety of plant and drink regularly.
Rifle:

Rifle:
You don’t need much gun for Impala; placing shots with accuracy you can take the shot with a .222 up to a .500 Jeffery. We read in books to stay away from the fast shooters like .25-06, .243, .270 etc. Because of meat bruising, but I all my life do like my .270 and shot many Impala. Normally Impala are shot a relatively close range and bruising of the meat does occur, but shooting for areas on the antelope where meat is

Photo's - 2008 Hunting season