HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on Working Birds
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 01:45 PM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thoughts on Working Birds

Whaty fingerz just wrote simply reinforces on of the main points of the manifesto.... next to moving to much, calling too much will foul up a lot of hunts.

ORIGINAL: krabbiepatty

Swamp Collie,
Thank you for the informative article. I am intrigued by the leaf scratching tip you wrote about. You seemed to have described 2 different methods, one of yours and one of a fellow HNI member. Is there any way you could demonstrate this method with a video on youtube or photobucket and post the link? Thanks.
The method itself is really the same. It is only the pattern that is different, and it really isn't even different. I'd normally jump at the chance to make a jack ass of myself via the internet and youtube, but not only do I not own a video camera or the knowledge to link up such a thing, but it really isn't as difficult as it may have come out.

What I am talking about is the pattern in which the leaves are scratched. Most hunters know about leaf raking, but they go about it at random. They make all sorts of ruckus, shuffling and raking and carrying on. The point of that tipisfor you to realize that turkeys are not just going about it randomly.

Make a pass with your hand through the leaves and pause a moment, then make three successive passes with your hand a pause, then make two more. Wait a moment, then make two and pause and finally one more. Any variation of that theme will no doubt work fine. You have undoubtly heard turkeys scratching in the woods... that is all we are mimicking here.