HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - getting into duck hunting
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Brooklyn

Default getting into duck hunting

i've never been duck hunting but i have a friend who wants me to go along with him. so i purchased a shotgun nothing fancy a remington 870 synthetic 12 ga, about as cheap as you can get, but i love my remington 700 CDL so i figured this shotgun would be decent enough. anyway i bought a full choke and it came with a modified choke.

i'm a total novice say take the question with a grain of salt, but if i remember a full choke is for turkey hunting and shooting lead, and the modified choke is better for waterfowl and you must use steel. I'm also going to on a few turkey hunts this year that's why i bought the full choke. also should I get a sling put on the shotgun? not sure what the consensus is on that.

also (a little late now) but is this shotgun a good choice? i know the benelli's are nice but i wanted to buy american and this one was quite a bit cheaper. i loved the break action double barrell shotguns but they were out of my price range, they were beautiful though.

anyway anything i need to know before my first duck hunt? can i bring my dog (chocolate lab)? don't most labradors go along with a hunt instinctively almost? or is there extensive training?

again excuse my dumb questions but i didn't see an FAQ. Thanks again.