HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tom/Jake Gobble differences
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 04:52 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tom/Jake Gobble differences

theres absolutely no fool proof 100% sure fire way to tell...

but the best way ive found in the last 10 years is if a bird has a "half gobble" its likely a jake...

what i mean by half gobble is the bird will say "gobble" instead of "gobble obble obble" sounds like a bird trying to gobble but just doesnt get the whole thing out...

another thing is jakes are often times running together...ive called in groups of 3 many times...only ever had 1 jake come in alone...but he was trying to beat a longbeard to the punch that i had strutting at 30-40yds...the jake NEVER said a peep on the roost or on the ground...just RAN behind the longbeard and circled around and got right in my face...

none of that is fool proof...but when im hunting, i will walk away from half gobbling birds...do i loose out on some possible longbeards? i bet...have i called in jakes that had good gobbles? yep...but them 2 factors are usually reliable enough for ME...i have no intrest in bringing a jake home and unless i got nothin else talkin, im not going to waste a setup calling a jake...just my personal preference...i dont care if guys take jakes...just not my cup of tea...