HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 458 Lott
Thread: 458 Lott
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 11:15 AM
nksmfamjp
Typical Buck

Default RE: 458 Lott

Yea, I drool over the Empire Rifles site regularly. They are a little spendy. I think I would rather put the money into the metalwork and function at this time. So, my initial image is to have this built on a Montana 1999 PH action(seems to be some wait time), Lilja or Montana 20" barrel, NECG3 leaf rear sight on a quarter riband barrel band hooded front sight.Then throw all that in a laminate stock with merc recoil reducers and a good fast(to the shoulder)recoil pad. I would like the metal blued, but in the interest of utility, would probably choose Black T or similar. I think this is roughly $3500, where putting it in a walnut stock with high gloss blue, is probably like $10,000.

I prefer 458 Lott to the other's mentioned because it has a magnum belt for sure headspace and a tapered case for sure feeding andsure bolt closing. It also gives you and extra round over the larger cases. Do I need all this? Probably not, but it is nice to know you have done the design work right.

I can see myself hunting with it once and then hanging it on the wall in a shadowbox, except to bring it out and scare people at the range with it annually!