HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Grow-up with Parker Bows Program - Youth
Old 02-03-2009, 12:16 PM
4evrhtn
Typical Buck

Default RE: Grow-up with Parker Bows Program - Youth

35 pounds is the minimum draw weight allowed in Pa, In Ohio it is 40 pounds. My wife is pulling 40 pounds of draw weight which will efficiently kill a deer IF... It isn't muchfurther than 20 yds. At that low weight the arrow has more of an arc to it and doesn't deliver the kinetic energy of higher poundage bows. My advice, use at least 45 pounds of weight if possible without sacrificing your ability to make accurate shots. I have an 09 Admiral and shoot 70 lbs draw, I like the speed and the ability to shoot further distances without having alot of arrow drop. Do I need to shoot 70 lbs? No, I just prefer to because I can shoot accurately with that weight with confidence. Alot of guys let ego get in the way and they shoothigher poundages than theyshouldresulting in decreased accuracy. I can shoot for 1/2 hour with my bow before getting tired and can easily hold the bow in full draw for over2 minutes.

As far as the grow up with Parker bows... I bought the Parker Sidekick for my wife with the upgrade option. I killed 2 deer this past year with my Parker Buck Hunter XP and love the bow but it was loud and then after the season was over I upgraded to the Bowtech Admiral which is faster, lighter and quieter. Bowtech and Parker both make good bows. It comes down to personal preference as far as the youth bows go. The (Bowtech/Diamond)Razor's Edge is a nice bow with alot of adjustment. I will probably buy one for our boy once he gets a little bigger.

I can say this about Parker, I had an issue with not being able to get max draw weight out of the Buck Hunter. I sent the limbs back to Parker and they tested them and sent me new limbs at no charge. This was done quickly with no hassle. I haven't had any issues with the Admiral but I do know guys who had issues with their Bowtech General limbs and they were also replaced, took a little longer because there wasa bad batch that had been recalled and they had more limbs to replace and send out.