HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fixing the ears on a deer mount?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Ohiobuck25
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fixing the ears on a deer mount?

ORIGINAL: TimberlandTaxidermy

I disagree that "any competent taxidermist" can fix your ears. I don't mean to sound rude, and I'm certainly not trying to disrespect another taxidermist, but since you asked...

...your deer mount has way more problems than just a different ear position than you requested. If you asked for back, you should have gotten back, but the reason those look so terrible forward is because they are not anatomically correct. Those ears are sticking way too far out from the head. There is no way the ear canal could attach to the skull on that deer, so it looks like it has wings for ears. Not to mention, the ear shape itself is wrong, and elongated. From the picture, it appears that the antler set is tipped forward. The eyes look strange, and the finish work on the eyes and nose look poor in the pic, and I imagine they look worse in person. If it were brought into my shop I would say fixing it is not an option, and a re-mount with a new cape by a "competent" taxidermist is in order. Expect to pay between 450 - 650 for a quality shoulder mount.
ThankyouT.T. for your honesty! That is good information to know!!!