HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Boomflop
Thread: Boomflop
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 06:59 AM
Nolehoe
Fork Horn

Default RE: Boomflop

ORIGINAL: cayugad

congratulations on the doe. Good eating there. Don't you just love it when a bullet does just what it is supposed to do.
I sure do.

Thanks for all the Congrats!!!

Not a lot of story to tell even though it was an interesting hunt. I was in an elevated box blind at the conjunction of several fields and had parked my ATV to close. The deer started moving about 3:00pm but they were seeing my ATV and spooking, as it got closer to dark more and more deer where coming out and seeing my ATV and spooking, except for the 150yd plus deer, but even they weren't hanging around for long and wouldn't stand still long enough to pick out an "old" doe and take that far of a shot. It was getting later and deer were popping out everywhere, as darkness approached I made the decision not to shoot. My Dad hadn't shot yet and I was pretty sure the land owner would invite us back if neither one of us got a shot and I wanted better light to judge deer and the opportunity to hunt this stand without my ATV in sight. Also a NICE 8-point had just walked out in the field and was checking one of the does and chasing her a little and I wanted to watch. Well about that time BOOM!!! my dad shoots, so I quickly pick out the biggest doe I have a shot at, she's a little closer than the ones I had ranged at 140 earlier but further than my 110yd landmark, so I guess 120yds. Put the cross hairs on her shoulder and squeeze, through the smoke I see a flurry of white tails and it just clears enough for me to see her hit the ground. It was a heart shot but the bullet managed to get both front legs and still pass through. Bullet performance was spectacular (that's the nicest way I know to say it). Love those Barnes. So far my record with them is 4-hits 4-deer, one miss due to misjudged yardage, shot for 150 and the deer was >180.