HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How sad hunting is becoming...
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 03:59 PM
rem700man
Typical Buck

Default RE: How sad hunting is becoming...

tky1187:
I have to agree with you on alot of your points,,,Im 42 yrs old and i miss the days when we all gathered at camp the sat. before the first week of buck in Clinton co. Back then we had to have a camp roster and if i remember correctly,,most years it was a page and a half long with names,,,some guys would stay a day,,,some a week ,,,and then there were a few that stayed the whole 2 weeks with little sh!ts such as myself racing off the school bus in tennis shoes to run in the camp,,grab a gun and hit the woods,,,,This year i didnt hunt Pa. only because i have such good hunting here in Va. that i could'nt justify comin home and taking the time off plus the expenses of liscenses for my son and i to not see at least a couple deer,,,,there was one doe shot by a hunter at camp this year and only 3 hunters in camp for the 1st 3 days,,,rest of the 2 week season there was 2 hunters that hung it out with no deer sightings after the 3rd day. I kinda feel like i let the "Camp" down by not going to participate with my son this year,,,but the hunting in Pa fire has just burnt out for me and i have to say that i think participating in these forums and reading how alot of hunters judge a deer by its antler growth has helped to pour water on that fire. Here in va.,,,my son and i are blessed to have a small tract of land to hunt that is private and then we utilize alot of public land and damn it we have a good time,,,we both shot small bucks this year,,,my son shot a nice 8pt that is at the taxidermist right now gettin mounted,,,does,,,a few too many button bucks,,,,,and we high fived everyone of those deer,,,laughed at the different circumstances that surrounded each kill and gave thanks for the opportunity to just be out there enjoying Gods creations and each other. We never had a down moment (even when a button buck was shot accidently) and i never seen my sons excitement change whether he shot a doe,,or the big 8pt,,,he was excited the same with all of them,,,which made me even more excited,,,because to me they are all trophys and should be treated as such! Good luck to you and your buddy and keep the current attitude you have,,,,if nothing else it will keep you from bickering on these forums like a lot of these guys