HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - handgun help!
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 04:10 AM
homers brother
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: handgun help!

With the 10mm losing ground to the .40 S&W, you'll probably have to plan onreloading it. Most of the ammo I've seen on the shelves has been"metal case" (FMJ), which is entirely undesirable for the purpose you describe. By reloading, you'd have a bit more selection in the bullet department. An auto is probablymore convenient to carry, since it's generally"flat", versus a "round" revolver.

But, everything else equal,the 10mm puts you somewhere inbetween the .357 and .41 Magnums. While I'd be pretty confident in its ability to put a cat down, maybe even a wolf, I'm not so sure I'd want to have to shoot a black bear with it (and CERTAINLY not anything bigger). My exposure to the 10mm has been pretty limited, but I recall it being on the unpleasant side to shoot, compared side-by-side tomy Ruger Redhawk in .44 Mag.,weight and balance having a good deal of play amplifying the effect in the 10mm, and mitigating it in the .44.

I'drecommendthe .44 and 240 gr.softpoints (not HPs) or the good cast bullets up to300 gr.