HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Traditions 50 Cal
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 10:00 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Traditions 50 Cal

ORIGINAL: pa257

I bought my first FL, a Traditions Pa Pellet FL. I was going to buy a Thompson but the local guy was sold out so instead of going to D**k's or Gander I gave my business to the smaller store. A couple of things bout the gun:

1. The plastic stock is pretty cheap and makes the gun very unbalanced.

2. The trigger is awful. Real heavy with some creep.

3. I bought the kit and everything was easy to use and all I needed was powder to shoot.

4. Frizzen and flint spark very reliable so far.

5. Don't know how accurate, only shot at 25 yards but so far so good.

I've shot 70 grains of 777 powder and 295 grain powerbelt copper HP. There is a slight delay < 1sec but noticeable from spark to fire but I assume this is normal for a FL? Or is it because I'm using 777 instead of BP? I make sure I prime the touch hole before shooting.

So does anyone make replacement stock for the PA pellet and does anyone know a way to lighten that trigger? I'll probably just buy a Thompson next year but if this proves to be accurate I'd like to tweak it a bit and keep it, I have three kids, so someone can always use it.
Well it you have a good spark, I will bet that if you went to pure black powder that it would amaze you how fast it fires. I have a Traditions Woodsman Hawkins flintlock and it is real fast with black powder. You might want to check also and see if RMC sells a touch hole liner with a allen head for that rifle. The touch hole is a slight larger and lets just a little more spark in there. It seems to speed things up.

The rifle can be sent back to Traditions and you can ask them to lighten it. But they will only go so far with them. I think it is 3-1/2 pounds. Some have worked the triggers over with different things and got them to lighten up a little.

The PA Pellet does come with a wood stock I believe. Contact Traditions and see if they have any. They might be willing to make you a trade + some extra, or sell you one.

I know a person that shoots a PA Pellet and used 80 grains of Goex 2f and a 240 grain XTP and claimed he got excellent accuracy. In case you want to play some more.