HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2008-2009 DEER HUNTING "BRAGGIN' BOARD"
Old 12-30-2008, 08:39 AM
NateSmith
Spike

Default RE: 2008-2009 DEER HUNTING "BRAGGIN' BOARD

Woke up this morning at 6 and got dressed and went and sat on one of our brush piles with my new Remington Genesis muzzleloader that I got for Christmas. I was walking quietly enough that I didn't spook the 2 bucks that were there (it wasn't good shooting light yet). The bigger of the two bucks came up and snorted at me about 4 or 5 times from about 30 feet away but all I could make out was a vague, dark shape. I let him live (parents also specifically asked that I not shoot any bucks). I stayed in the same spot until about 20 minutes later when some does came walking up about 75 yds away. I aimed and squeezed the trigger in time to watch all the does bounching happily away. One or two stopped to watch me stand up in disgust and make my way back towards the house. When I got in, I thought "screw this, I'm gonna re-load and go back". I re-loaded and went back a different way which would have cut them off from the direction they were traveling in. As soon as I got to the back corner of our pasture, I rounded a line of cedar trees and there, not 100 yds away, were about 4 does. One of them noticed me and turned around and started to walk away. I raised and fired. Dropped her where she stood. It's my first buck of the season and I'm proud to say my first ever with a muzzleloader. Once I got back to the house, we noticed it wasn't a doe but a buck with 2 nubs for horns. Oh well. It's currently skinned, gutted, and hanging up outside. I'm gonna go out again later this afternoon/evening to see if I can get a few more. [/align][/align]Unfortunately, I didn't think to get any pictures before I'd skinned and gutted it. That's ok though. I'll get more tomorrow or the next day. [/align]