HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Your Hunt to Scout ratio?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 06:50 PM
virginiashadow
Nontypical Buck

Default Your Hunt to Scout ratio?

I started thinking about areas that I can improve on in my hunting game. I thought a lot about it over the last week. The one thing that boiled up was my hunt to scout ratio. I really believe I scouted my butt off last year given everthing else that is going on in my life, logging around 50 hours of scouting in the off-season. I don't have access to fields to scout or trail cams as I hunt on a military base. I just slip on the boots and scout, really just learning the terrain and examining the deer sign from the previous hunting season.

That being said, I think I have hunted around 30 sits, averaging about 4 hours a sit, putting me at around 120 overall hunting hours. So my hunt to scout ratio is around 2.5 to 1. I don't think that is good enough. Not to get too technical or anything, but I know that I need to scout even more, probably more than I am hunting to get the edge I need.

How about you guys, what is your hunt to scout ratio? For those of you who have a ratio close to 1:1, hunt to scout, are you seeing the benefits? Thanks.