HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)
Old 12-14-2008, 01:18 PM
mcouey
Fork Horn

Default RE: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Guys, I can't believe what happened to me yesterday. After several scouting trips to the archery only public land near me I had finally decided where my setup should be and the best route to take in for Saturday afternoon. Due to wind and parking restrictions my walk was going to be about 1 mile, but I figured that I knew where the buck who's sign I located was going to be, if he hasn't been killed yet.

So Saturday afternoon I park get my gear and off I go. About halfway there, I hear a deer hauling tail through the brush right toward me. I kneel down and knock an arrow. Well then I see what's making all the ruckus. It's a mature 10 point buck, and he's about 20 feet away from me trying to run backwards braking because he's seen me. When he finally stops, he's about 10 feet away, but he doesn't take the time to stare, he bolts on down the draw away from me. By the time I get turned in his direction to draw he's already at 40 yards and having nothing to do with the bleats I'm mouthing at him.

Oh well, I didn't get him. On the bright side I know he's there, and he's a real good buck. I'm sure he was running because another hunter, NOT using the wind walked in on his bedding area and spooked him out, but maybe the other guy didn't get a look at this bruiser, and will just think he jumped a doe. I don't know how to play this now, I doubt that he'll keep using this same area too much after being run out like that. So any advice is welcome. I have to say with 25 days left in my season and this whole week being archery only, I have to give myself some fairly good odds at getting another shot at this buck. And the next time will be on my terms if I can help it at all. LOL.