HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Had a great week, killed a nice NJ buck
Old 12-14-2008, 05:04 AM
pigiron
Nontypical Buck

Default Had a great week, killed a nice NJ buck

New Jersey's six day firearm season is just about coming to an end. I hunted my tail off this season and passed up quite a few decent bucks before killing thisnice11 piont inyesterday's rain storm. It was literally coming down in sheets when this buck stepped out from the pines with his nose to the ground right behind a hot doe. I took what seemed like a century to clear the fog from my scope to even see the crosshairs and pull the shot off. The H&R put him down after a short 20 yard burst. It's crazy how things work out. After driving to my best spot that I haven't hunted all week I almost turned aroundto go homedue to the weather...It was downright awful. I was just chomping at the bitto get into this stand. I avoided it all week because it was so cold that everything was froze over. The 200 yard trail to the stand is knee deep in water, and I don't believe any buck out there would stick around too long after hearing some hunter crashing through the ice. In any case the weather warmed up a bit... but with a boatload ofrain. I couldn't be happier, and am glad I stuck it out. I've hunted just as hard during bow season, and passed up plenty of young bucks but just didn't get within range of a decent shooter. I would have done anything to kill this buck with a bow and arrow. I know he's no midwest giant, but for my neck of the woodshere in South Jersey, he's a good-un.