HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Buck!
Thread: First Buck!
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 04:02 PM
NYak

Default First Buck!

Well i got in the stand last night at about 4:45. I was really pushing it for time because i was stalking a couple of does on my way. It was raining pretty steady so i came in pretty quiet. I got in my stand, hooked up my harness and knocked up an arrow. I havent hunted this stand all year and barely at all last year. So i hung my bow on the peg in front of me and i looked to my right and saw a monster rack at about 45 yrds! It was shaking the rain off and was on its way in. I drew back and could see that it wasnt the 8 pt i was hunting but was a big 10 pt. I drew my bow back way to early and couldn't hold it back for more than 3 min. when the deer got 13 yrds i put my pin on him and my muscles gave out. The bow dropped back down andthebucltook off! I managed to get my bow back and shot at 40 yrds but clearly undershot it. So here comes the other buck! A 7 pt right down the same trail. It is now only 4:50 and i pulled back and slung the arrow through him at 13 yrds. He ran 30 yrds and fell over. After 20 minutes it stood back up, took two steps, then fell back down. I stayed in my stand until 5:40 and snuck out the back way. When i went to get him later he was still alive! He got up and ran and we looked for 2 and a half hours but no find. Finally we were going to get pizza and rode down one of the back roads and there he was in someones huge front lawn only 75 yrds from where i shot him! One heck of a story that i will remember forever. This year is the first year i shot a deer with my bow(which was a doe), shot my first turkey, and my first buck! Good Year!