HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Making a decision on
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 11:06 AM
awshucks
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Making a decision on

I've either owned or shot every model Excal offers. My first Excal was an Emax and I loved it. As I came across some of the other models available, I realized what a brute it is/was. I ordered a Phoenix and was real happy w/ it. Then I learned my Phoenix was actually a mis-labeled Exocet from the factory. An easy mistake to make as there is just a minor difference in rail length.

The 200 lb versions in any form are my favorites. They are noticably easier to cock w/ rope cocker than the Emax and are easier on servings.

I notice the Vortex is somewhat shorter than the Ecet, which should make cocking it even easier yet.

An STS system and a Groundpounder mount both use the same two holes in the riser and both mount independant of each other, so to use both you will have to do some nut and bolt engineering, no hill for a climber, lol.

I've used the stock peep and pin that comes w/ the bows. To be honest, everything I've shot w/ a scope I could have taken via those p & p sights. You may want to try them first and then go from there, they work amazingly well. I can throw mine on any Excal and be in the kill zone at 25 yds w/o change in adj needed, if you go thar route pm me anfd I'll give you the locations/heights, ect. Yes, the tolerances are that close.

Best bet on arrows, imho, is to talk to Danny Miller, fastest way to get a college education on Excals, lol. Btw, 'his' arrows got their nick name "Millers Killers" on here a while back. Quick description: GT L II's w/ brass inserts, 4" vanes at about 408 gr [currently].

You have a pm coming.