HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Your experience with cold weather and deer movement?
Old 12-06-2008, 05:37 PM
early in
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Your experience with cold weather and deer movement?

I'm glad this subject was brought up! I have ALWAYS read and heard from people in the know, about how important cold temps are for good daytime buck movement during the rut.Especially where I hunt in Alberta. The last week of Nov was unusually warm (26F-40F) up there and I sawdaytime buck movement like I could have never even dreamedof. I saw 10 different bucks by 1:00PM on my second day!When I arrived up there I was worried about the warm temps, and thought all the rut activity was going to be at night. How wrong I was.
Was I just lucky? This is what I thought at first, but after I gave it more thought, I came to the conclusion that since there is so much competition for the "hot" doe's because of the very close buck to doe ratio, the bucks will move when they have to. Regardless of the warm temps. I can't come up with a better explanation for what I saw.Does anyone not agree with this thinking?