HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 30-30 for deer
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2003, 12:07 AM
ELKampMaster

Default RE: 30-30 for deer

loner,
The long list of great cartridges from yesteryear was in direct response to your
" I WONDER WHAT WE WOULD HAVE DONE IF WE HAD BEEN BORN IN " GOOD OLD DAYS" WHEN THE CHOICES WERE A LOT FEWER?...." question, which seemed to imply that if we were all back in the " good old days" we would all be shooting 30-30-ish " pop guns" or similar ilk because we all would have had no other choice -- not so, some of us would have bought lesser and some of us would have bought stronger as there was lots to choose from even then -- no " evil" intent in my pointing it out.

james,
Sounds like the 6.5 x 55 is doing a right fine job for you. It probably has some " reach" to it to allow you to better push the 200 yard mark you alluded to and thus better " work" those prairie river breaks. What kind of rifle is it? Do you go scoped or go with iron sights?

FYI,
I' ve got ole dad' s M94 30-30 in the safe, first " high power" rifle I ever shot as a kid. Gave up on it at 13, got a 270 at 14 and never looked back. Haven' t shot more than a handfull of rounds thru that 30-30 in 30 some years -- nice little nostalgia piece though -- when I take it out during a " gun safe shuffle" I' ll pause & throw it up to my shoulder -- nice memories -- but it still feels like a toy. I' m afraid I just don' t go much for self imposed limitations or " just get by" cartridges.

However, I do understand some folks, who are really on top of their game, do like to create a challenge for themselves (bowhunting being a great example) and then work with in those limitations -- IF they have the talent, and the patience, and the iron ethic NOT to take that (easily) compromised shot -- then that' s fine. Problem is lots of folks cruise these websites that don' t have those attributes, they tend to take what is being said here as absolute (because so few posters qualify their opinions, many just rant) and then these folks buy their first rifle and end up with something " marginal" AND THEN they lack the corresponding talent or experience to make it work out right -- that' s not so fine.

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM