HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team Ruttin Rookies Thread (40)
Old 12-02-2008, 05:57 PM
early in
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team 40 Thread

Thanks guys. I did have an awesome time. I just hope I'll be able (financially)to get back up there next year. I don't know why I didn't think to video MUCH sooner than I did, with all of the deer I saw last Tuesday.I just got caught up in the excitement!It really was the best deer hunt I've ever been on, despite taking a small buck.
The action started as soon as I got in my stand (in the dark) and nocked an arrow. Even though it was dark I heardfoot stepscoming and could seethe form of a deer. It went to a fresh scrape that I was able to see on my way in, even in the dark.I'm assuming it was a buck. Then after it got light I saw my first deer at about 8:00AM. I turned my head slowly to scan the area and couldn't believe what I saw. It was that 150" 8pt being followed ( 40yrds behind) by about a 140" buck.They were both following a hot doe! I was actually startled when I saw this. I stood, andwaited until they got closer. When the doe stopped so did the big boy. I drew and let loose. Watching my shotmiss low! I was beside myself. I had just misseda shot at the buck I always dreamed of killing.
They weren't really spooked, just looked around and continued walking by me. They got past me and turned to my right, still at basically the same distance. Unbelievably, I was able to nock anotherarrow without being seen. I drew again on the big boy, released,and missed him a second time!![&o] I should have aimed higher than I did with the first shot. DUH! At this point they just kept walking away from me.
From that point on I saw saw a different buck about every 30mins coming from all directions. I still can't quite believe the action that I saw that day. I did manage to video another buck that was out of bow range that I would have shot, had I been given the chance. I think he would have been P&Y material. Here's a pic of him. Again, a still from the video. He was a wide one! I still have my Pa buck tag to fill, so I'll see what I can do about killing my second buck of the year.