HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The Great Debate Over Baiting
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 10:49 AM
magicman54494
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Great Debate Over Baiting

ORIGINAL: crokit

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

A different thought on baiting.I hunt public land. Some guy comes along and baits a spot. Bait tends to congragate deer. I have a right to hunt that land as well as him but since he put out bait in his mind it has become "his" spot. I love to track deer. I will circle every and all baited areas to try to pick up a track from a deer that he drew to that area. Does that make me a jerk? I know almost every baiter would be angry if I invaded "his" spot. His baiting practice almost forces me to check that area because he altered the local deer feeding and bedding patterns. What do you guy's that bait think of this? Would you think I'm a jerk if I attempt to pick up a track in an area you are baiting? I am not against baiting by the way.

I thought baiting was allowed only on private property? If so on public land, a baiter suffers the same as someone that leaves a stand on public property. Your taking a gamble. Personally, I would thank the guy that's baiting for his efforts in providing deer to track!
Baiting is allowed on public land in Wis. In the northern big woods areas the deer flock to bait. Especially during late season. I don't mind if people bait as long as they don't mind sharing the public land with people who prefer to hunt using different methods. If I walked up to a guy's bait stand and thanked him for drawing the deer there so I can find a good track I'd probably find my tires slashed when I came back out!