HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Recap on the season so far
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Oneshot7
Nontypical Buck

Default Recap on the season so far

The learning experience this year has been priceless, and I look forward to the next month and a week of deer hunting. So far, on 73 sits, I have seen 12 bucks and 40 does (early season doe hunting). Two of those deer were shooters, both within bow range, one provided me no shot and I would love to see him next year, but will take him gladly this year if the chance is given. The other wasa mature deer that I probably should have taken and I had several shot opourtunities at him in the same morning, but he was uninjured and I really want to give this deer a chance to come back bigger next year, so I decided to pass due to the ROB syndrome.

I have found a spot where the buck sightings out number my doe sightings, and have learned how to hunt it effectively. I have noticed a certain spike and button buck increase this year, it sounds like others are seeing that as well. It is currently the middle of the rut here, although I am just starting to see action at my properties, as the resident does go into heat around the same time every year here. I have yet to spot any of the bucks I have on camera, but I am sure that time will come soon.

I am beginning to accept the fact that I can handle seeing less deer, to see bigger bucks. Last year, in the same amount of sits, I was up into the hundreds with does, and only had one shooter (bow or gun) in range and I took him. Doe management does help, and I have seen it first hand this year, after taking three out of one place and now increasing buck sightings (hope its not a coincidence). I will try to get some video and pictures off of my video camera soon and post it up.