HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Not proud, but I did kill one tonight...(Updated, pic's pg. 3 sorry for poor quality)
Old 11-23-2008, 06:00 PM
OHbowhntr
Nontypical Buck

Default Not proud, but I did kill one tonight...(Updated, pic's pg. 3 sorry for poor quality)

Guys, I made a moderately large mistake tonight. I got greedy, wasn't thinking, and I blundered big time, and remember WHY I have often said "DO NOT SHOOT AT AN ALERT ANIMAL!!!" I'll post up pics of the head tomorrow, when I get a chance.

I had a "herd" of deer in the back yard, missed a big doe, no rangefinder, I guestimated she was right around 40, held heart, thinking ifshe was longer,I'd have a clean "MISS," and Iwatched the arrow "zip" right under her, frustrated with myself, another small doe hung around in the backyard, and I decided "To heck with it, I'm out of meat....." And I let one sail at her(ended up being a pretty big [probably a 120-130# live wt.deer] button buck , STUPID), and what looked like it was going to be a GOOD SHOT ended up a near pass-through entering behind his ear and out under his opposite side eye. He drop like a ROCK, and I thought I'd spined him!!! To my amazement, that SONIC zipped right through his head, and had there not been BLAZERS on the arrow, it would have passed completely through. And this shot looked like heart all the way, until a very tiny split second and the deer moved. My wife watched out the window, and she thought it was a good hit as well!!!! Again, I'm kicking myself, as it was a shot I probably shouldn't have even taken, and the deer was about exactly 40yds, and I'd just shot at about 3pm and stuck all 3 arrow on the Diamonds on my target at 40yds this afternoon.

Anyway, guys try not to be STUPID like I was tonight!!!

Again, I'm not proud, and I'm more or less an IDIOT for taking the shots in the first place, and it goes to show how muchthey can move upon the shot, and my Trykon had a STS on it, felted quite well, and is pretty quiet, at least I thought it was....[:'(]