HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - looking for a new turkey gun
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2003, 10:12 AM
snowdog2

Default RE: looking for a new turkey gun

For all of you that think a 3" 12 gauge shell is all right for killing turkeys, I want to say that my wife killed a turkey with a 2 3/4" 20 gauge this past spring, but that will never convince me that all hunters should only carry 2 3/4" 20 gauge guns, or that a 3 1/2 " 12 gauge shell isn' t more lethal than a 2 3/4" 20 or a 3" 12. As a matter of fact, I have been wondering why I don' t pick up a 10 gauge for turkeys. And I' m not just talking about long range, either. It has to do with the load you actually deliver. Right now, though, I' m pretty convinced the ideal turkey gun would be an over/under, syntehtic stock and forepiece, camo, ported, polished and bored, 26" barrels, maybe 24" , choked extra full (for those 40+ yard hung-up toms) and improved cylinder (for those close encounters), with a Bushnell mini-holosight (or Accupoint) scope (mounted on flip-off scope mounts with a fiber optic backup sighting system in place, in case the batteries die), sling, and shooting Remington Hevi-shot or Nitro Hevi-shot custom multiplex. I just don' t know what gauge, 10 or 12--probably 12 w/ 3 1/2" capacity, if there is such a creature (in over/under). Does anybody know who might make the basic gun (12 gauge 3 1/2" over/under with camo synthetic stock)? The rest can be add-on.