HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Federal Laws regarding gun purchases online
Old 11-16-2008, 11:03 AM
FIRERESCUEO2

Default RE: Faxes and Signed E-mailed Copies are exceptable.

This is my first day here ........ Hi everyone.

I can tell you that in Michigan long guns can be shipped from buyer to seller without either person requiring CPL/FFL license - as long as each person is a full time resident living within the state, the shipping remains within the state, the buyer is over 18 years old and can legally purchase a firearm. USPS will ship long guns and recommends no indication of a firearm within the container be posted, but will not ship ammo or gunpowder. A contract carrier (such as UPS or FEDEX) will ship handguns from FFL to FFL and will ground ship ammo and powder with a small Hazmat fee included. Following ATF guidelines, long gun sales/transfer within Michigan must also meet Michigans rules and regulations on items such as barrel lengths, overall lengths, etc.

On a side note, some sellers still avoid direct person to person mail transfer even though the ATF and State gun laws allow it. I believe this is because they feel a bit more secure that the sale is going to a legal gun owner by going through an FFL - which removes any future legal repercussions from the seller and the buyer normally pays for any additional FFL fee.

Brian