HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gut shot! Got him. Update below.
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 11:18 AM
11pt
Spike

Default RE: Gut shot!

I got out at first light this morning. Of course, it was pouring rain so all traces of a trail were obliterated. [:@]The buck had headed over the hill into the woods, so I just started working back and forth in a grid pattern down the hill toward the creek bottom. Fortunately the leaves were pretty much down so I could see quite a bit. There was a ladder stand belonging to another guy so when I made my way to it I figured I would climb up to see what I could see. I was looking around and noticed a rock that looked surprisingly like the color of deer hair. I got down to check it out and it was him - - - - STILL ALIVE.

I thought his eyes looked funny (still dark) and his head was down on his chin and as I was staring at him I saw his chest move. He was obviously too weak to move, or so I thought. I grabbed my bow and snuck back down there. He had his head curled around so I got behind him and put another arrow through his rib cage and then he got up and ran off! He only went about 50 yards and piled up. Still, I found it was amazing that after 14 hours with a hole through his guts he was still alive, let alone able to get up and run. The toughness of these animals is incredile.