HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - one pin out to 40
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 09:09 AM
OHbowhntr
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: one pin out to 40

ORIGINAL: bowdoc1

I'm shooting a black ice with 4oo axis at 280 fpsand I could shot one pin out to 30 yards. Itwould be3.5 inch's high at 10, 3 inch high at 20 and 4.5 inch's low at 30 yards if I sat my pin at 25 yards.thats good for a deer but, I still like to use 5 pins. At 3 to 5 yards I would haft to use my 40 yard pin because of my low anchor point. Go to your archer advantage program and you can see were to set your pin to get a one pin setup buy the size of the vital you going to shoot at.
Good Points BD, I set my sights up differently than MOST people, and the only other guy I know on here that sets a site up similar on here is Buckeye. I set my bow up, and shoot at 20 or so yds, then walk back and get a feel for where I'm "safely" going to put my first pin without "overstretching" myself. I've settled on 24yds. as being a good spot to settle the first pin in as I'm only about 2.5" high at 14-15yds with that setting, which isn't enough that I'd worry about a hold-under on a deer. My next pin will come in at 32yds, anything past 27 yds. get a direct hold on the 32 yd. pin. I'm gonna be a touch high 3" or so, but again, that's acceptable for ME personally on a whitetail deer set-up, I could realistically use the 32 yd pin on a 24yds deer, but it's gonna be 4.5" high or so, and it that animal ducks too much, that's leaving too much room for error. At 40yds, my 24yd pin is at the top of the arc, and is going to be about 9" high, which is "right over the back" on MANY deer, so there ain't now way my 284fps rig could stretch that far, even my at 32yds, I'm gonna still be about 6" high, at 35-37 yds I split my 32 & 40 pins, 38-42 I hold "dead-on" with my 40.