HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Look what I found...
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 08:26 PM
ChicagoTRS
Spike

Default Look what I found...

Was in Shawnee National Forest Southern Illinois this past weekend doing a little recon work for firearm season and look what I stumbled upon...

It was around 50 yards off of a road in a dry river bed so I figure it was either a road kill that limped away or could have been a wounded animal that nevergot tracked down last season. I was pretty excited when I found it as I never expected to find anything like this. Wish I got a chance to take this guy when he was stillroaming the forest. Main beams are 18 inches with a 16.5 inch spread...10 points.

It is actually in amazingly good condition...skull is intact, antlers are untouched, no cracks anywhere. I have not began to clean it. Still weighing options...I will definitely minimally wash it down and get off the loose dirt. I have done a few european mounts that turned out excellent and have been brilliant white when finished but those were all fresh kills, with this guy I am strongly considering just cleaning it pretty well and leaving it in the weathered condition. Just seems right for this old boy...it looks pretty cool as is...