HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - PA 8 pt down, first buck w/ bow!
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Young Deer Hunter
Fork Horn

Default PA 8 pt down, first buck w/ bow!

On November 1, 2008 during my first archery season with my compound bowI killed my first buck with a bow! I have killed a spike with my crossbow and a 5 pt with my rifle, but this one was the biggest buck and the most important to me, heres the story:

This season I have seen this buck 2 times but never had a chance at him. One evening he came running through after 3 does but was too far, and he ignored my calls trying to lurehim into bow range. Last week he ran by after 2 does and this time was a lot closer but still too far and was on some does so once again he ignored my calls. Meanwhile, I have 3 "cotton balls" clipped to a tree soaked in Tinks 69 but he was too focused on the does.

On Halloween, my dad aloud me to skip school sowe could hunt in the morning. It was a tough decision but I passed on 2 small bucks hoping to get a "shot" atmy buck. Ironically, the next evening, November 1, was the day I got my chance!

As I sat in my stand and haven't seen a deer yet, around 5:30 pm I heard what I thought was a snort. I stood up and waited, not sure of what I heard, and heard it again on the top of the hill above me getting closer,and I told myself, thats a deer. I grabbed my bow off the hanger and snapped on my release and saw him coming down the hill straight toward me after he smelled the Tinks 69! He walked all the way down to literally 5 yards underneith me and looked right at me. I have never shook so much in my life when that buck stared me down! I thought for sure he was gunna run but turned and walked broadside 5 yards under me, and I started to position my feet to draw back and shoot. However, he saw me or smelled me and stopped, seeing that he was looking at me in the corner of his eye, I started to shake more and get nervous. He knew something was wrong and jumped and ran about 10 more yards, at this time I drew back, and he stopped, quartering away from me about 15 yards, and shaking as much as I was, shot, and watched the buck run out of my sights. I was really nervous because I hit him far back, but the good thing was he was quartering away, therefore the arrow was able to go up in the chest cavity. We didnt find much blood so we decided to wait untill morning because I didnt want to risk my biggest buck to get spooked and run further.

I didnt sleep good at all and I kept reliving the moment and turns out he didnt go much further than the last time I saw him. The arrow was found with him, it never came out, clogging the hole, giving us not much blood. I hit the liver and one lung and I was extremelely excited to find him!! This is my biggest buck and my first with my compound! Thanks for reading guys.