HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - For Real
Thread: For Real
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 06:48 AM
Griswold
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: For Real

No. A "ban" of guns isn't happening anytime soon. Even if someone wanted to, the weight of the Supreme Court would have to change, and that isn't likely to happen in 4 years. Obama may get to select 2 justices, but they'll replace justices that dissented in Heller v. D.C.

What I DO think we'll see in 4 years is a new assault weapons ban, for sure. And the one that's before Congress right now, authored by a Congresswoman from NY, is much more troubling even than the last one was. Obama has also stated at various times that he supports a ban on handguns and a ban on semiautomatic weapons. The handgun ban won't happen. The semiautomatic weapons? Who knows. If Congress can outlaw AR-15s, I guess a semiautomatic rifle can be outlawed. The Brady campaign has also set their sights on outlawing what they call "sniper rifles." Like the phrase "assault weapons," siper rifles is grossly misused. Among the guns the Brady bunch considers sniper rifles are guns like the .30-06, .308, etc. That doesn't mean that the Bradys will neessarily get what they want, but the only other time they've had any real influence over Congress was when the Democrats controlled both the legislative and executive branches back in the '90s.

I don't doubt that we could see some high taxes on ammo in the next 4 years if there are folks who really support that. I have still yet to see where Obama does.