HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)
Old 10-24-2008, 09:06 PM
dukemichaels
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

ORIGINAL: 16 point

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I'm a fanatic about scent control.. but during this season I've been a little behind with it.
Mike- Sorry to hear about your misfortune with that 160. Going 3 years without being busted by a buck is quite an accomplishment. I too, try to take extreme precautions when it comes to scent control but sometimes I will get winded by non targeted bucks that I let pass.

Would you care to share some of your secrets for scent control and what did you leave out that got you busted by the 160?

Also, Congrats on that great swamp buck......
Sure Tim.

Nothing really secret about them though.. just alot of preparation and some elbow grease.

1.) I take chlorophyl pills all season long. The medical industry uses them to help reduce odor.. so its good enough for me.

2.) I shower before every sit with no scent shampoo.. body wash.. and deodorant.

3.) No cologne is used by me throughout the entire season regardless of whether I hunt or not.

4.) Keeping my face well manicured and shaven. Bacteria builds quickly as hair folicles exit skin.. I keep them shaved better in fall then in any other time of year. Hair on head very short as well.

5.) Rubber boots. And I buy a new pair every other year. I don't want a hunt ruined just because of 100 bucks. And I use No-odor and baking powder in them at night regularly to help eliminate odors.

6.) I use scent-lok and scent-blocker products and use them correctly. Dressing in field.. two layers at least.. etc.

7.) I use the HS fresh earth wafer in my bow case all year round. My bow smells like the woods so much.. that when I get in my vehicle it reeks like earth even when the case is closed.

8.) Because my safety harness has an odor to it that I can smell I also use an earth scent wafer on it as well. I put it on just before entering the field.

9.)I believe in using natural odors in nearly every hunt. EX.. if I am hunting next to a walnut tree I'll take the walnut into stand with me that I find on the ground and rub a few spots of the tree I am in. The shell surrounding the walnuts stink.. but the deer are very used to it.

10.)I chew gumoflage. I know most think this stuffs a joke. But I truly believe this stuff helps eliminate odors from my mouth. And.. its kinda nice to chew something while in stand.

11.) I hunt the correct winds.. and pay close attention to thermals. I own a small HVAC company and am very familiar with the laws of thermals.. negative and positive pressure.. heating of air ETC.. so I understand this stuff pretty well.

There is a few more minor details but you get the idea.

Honestly Tim.. I couldn't name one thing. I messed up on a bunch. Just got lazy and arrogant.. tried to get away with it.

The biggest factor was probably my boots. Alot of scent will come from a mans boots.[&o] And I didn't take care of them once before that date.. I took it for granted. Camo too.

When I think about that buck.. it sickens me so. Heck.. I shouldv'e just taken the 140. [X(][&o][&o]

Any tricks you can share with me Tim?